Celebrating healthier appetites for food, exercise, and life!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Apparently, I am a quasi-Vegetarian

I was looking over what I've eaten over the past seven days and realized that I've eaten meat only once. Huh. I know that meat has seemed less and less appealing to me lately, though I'm sure I'll never stop eating it all together. I have a bunch of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks checked out of the library, and have been perusing them for easy recipes that don't have a lot of servings or exotic ingredients. I'm pleasantly surprised by how many I've found, though it seems I would be eating a lot of beans and lentils if I don't want to eat fake meat. I'm okay with that. Tonight we're going out to a bbq place. Normally I'd want to get ribs or pulled bbq. I'm kind of leaning toward salad or salmon though. A nice, big salad sounds so good right now.

Anyway, I tried a new banana muffin recipe and we all liked it quite well. I fiddled with the original a bit, so here's my incarnation.

Banana Banana Muffins
makes 12 muffins

1/4 c butter
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
5 bananas, very ripe
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 c sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
Place the peeled bananas in a large bowl and beat them well with an electric mixer. The riper the bananas and the more you beat them, the more tender your muffins will be. There will still be some lumps, however.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Add the butter, applesauce, and eggs to the banana and mix well.

Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir JUST until the batter is thoroughly combined.

Pour the batter into greased muffin cups - mine just about filled the 12 cup pan

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack in the pan; then remove and cool completely.

Delicious with Barney Butter!

No comments:

Post a Comment